B2 · Upper Intermediate

Have & Get It Done: The Delegators

The delegator's grammar: I had my hair cut, I got my car fixed. You arrange it, someone else does it — have/get + object + V3.

01

Causatives

The delegator’s grammar

The causative is how English delegates: you arrange the job, someone else does it. The V3 participle tells you the job; have or get tells you the deal.

💇

Have + object + V3

arrange the job

I had my hair cut

🔧

Get + object + V3

the everyday twin

I got my car fixed

🙋

Someone else does it

you pay, ask or arrange

We will have the office painted

🛠️

Get someone to + verb

when the doer is a person

I got the plumber to fix the tap

⚠️ have/get + object + V3 — the job is arranged, not done by you.

02

The Formula

you do it → someone does it

The transformation is one swap: the doer leaves the sentence and the object becomes the star, followed by the V3 participle.

You do it

I cut my hair.

→
Someone does it

I. had my hair cut

You do it

The mechanic fixed my car.

→
Someone does it

I. got my car fixed

You do it

Someone will install the software.

→
Someone does it

We will. have the software installed

You do it

A doctor checks my eyes.

→
Someone does it

I. get my eyes checked

⚠️ have/get + object + V3. The V3 sits after the object — never before it.

03

Common Mistakes

Four delegation slips

The deal breaks when the object wanders, when the V3 forgets its shape, or when a person gets the wrong pattern.

✗

I had cut my hair yesterday.

→
✓

I had my hair cut yesterday.

💡 have + object + V3 — the object sits between.

✗

I got fixed my car.

→
✓

I got my car fixed.

💡 The object comes before the V3.

✗

I had my hair cutted.

→
✓

I had my hair cut.

💡 cut stays cut — an irregular V3.

✗

I got my friend fixed my car.

→
✓

I got my friend to fix my car.

💡 With a person: get someone to + verb.

04

Quick Quiz

Test what you just learned

Three minutes, five questions — check what stuck. No essay questions, we promise.

Pregunta 1 / 5✅ 0 / 5

I ___ my hair cut yesterday.

💡 Información extra2 secciones
05

Do It or Delegate?

One question picks the pattern

The hands that do the job decide the grammar: your hands or someone else’s.

Do you do it yourself, or does someone else do it?
✓Yourself — activeI cut my hair
✗Someone else — have/get + V3I had my hair cut
06

The Delegation Family

Match the pattern with the job

Four delegation patterns, four deals. Have is formal, get is everyday.

have + object + V3
arrange a jobI had my hair cut
get + object + V3
arrange, everyday toneI got my car fixed
get someone to + verb
ask or persuade a personI got him to help
have someone + verb
give a person the jobI had him fix it

⚠️ Have is the formal suit, get is the everyday shirt.

© 2026 English Measure. Todos los derechos reservados.