A2 · Elementary

First Conditional: The Real Plan

The first conditional is the real plan: if it rains, I will stay home. A possible future with a will in the result and the present in the if.

01

First Conditional

The real plan

The first conditional talks about a real possibility in the future: if the condition happens, the result will follow. One plan, one will.

🎯

A real future plan

possible, and quite likely

If it rains, I will stay home

🤝

Promises

if you do this, I will do that

If you help me, I will help you

🚦

Unless = if not

the same plan in reverse

Unless it rains, we will go out

🕐

When = if, with certainty

the plan that is sure to come

When you come, we will start

⚠️ If + present, will + verb. A real plan, a possible future.

02

The Formula

if + present → will + verb

The if-clause stays in the present — it only sets up the condition. The will lives in the result, where the future actually happens.

ConditionIf it rains
→
ResultI will stay home
Real possibilityIf you study hard, you will pass the exam

⚠️ Present in the if. Will in the result. Never will in the if.

03

Common Mistakes

Four plan slips

The plan breaks when will moves into the if-clause, when the bare verb forgets itself after will, or when both halves grab will.

✗

If it will rain, we will cancel.

→
✓

If it rains, we will cancel.

💡 The if-clause takes the present — will lives in the result.

✗

If she comes, she will helps.

→
✓

If she comes, she will help.

💡 After will, the bare verb — no -s.

✗

I will call you if I will have time.

→
✓

I will call you if I have time.

💡 The time clause stays in the present.

✗

If you will come, I will be happy.

→
✓

If you come, I will be happy.

💡 One will per sentence — and it is not in the if.

04

Quick Quiz

Test what you just learned

Three minutes, five questions — check what stuck. No essay questions, we promise.

Question 1 / 5✅ 0 / 5

If it rains, I ___ stay home.

💡 Extra info2 sections
05

If or When?

Maybe or certain?

Both words set up the condition. The difference is how sure you are.

Is the condition certain to happen?
✓Certain — whenWhen you arrive, call me
✗Maybe — ifIf it rains, call me
06

The Plan Family

Match the pieces of the plan

The first conditional is built from three pieces. Know where each one lives.

if + present
the conditionIf it rains…
will + verb
the result…I will stay home
unless
if notUnless you hurry…

⚠️ Present in the if, will in the result — the plan never swaps them.

© 2026 English Measure. All rights reserved.